One aspect we focus on when creating personalized diets is lifestage.
We LOVE senior dogs and whether it’s our kibble/raw plus consults or a formulated diet there are some important considerations for seniors:
- a balanced diet that includes high quality/high biological value protein – ie eggs, fish, meats and poultry
- Anti inflammatory foods and supplements offer great support to a balanced diet, but should be fed with an eye to any health issue your dog might be dealing with
- Joint support that includes glucosamine/chondroitin. Ensure your product has independent lab assays to support the amounts stated on the label
- Good ratio of omega 6:3 fatty acids
- Increased focus on anti-cancer nutritional strategies
The importance of a balanced diet can’t be overstated- nutrient reserves may become depleted if the diet hasn’t been meeting requirements.
Instead of focusing on what supplements to add to your dog’s diet the most important first step is ensuring you’re providing high quality balanced nutrition. Once that is established then look at appropriate functional additions for your senior.